Man and his Soul

1965

Clay. 50 x 44 x 18 cm

Two figures with outstretched arms float in a circle. Their bodies suggest a centrifugal force that expands into the sphere of spiritual transformation.  In Jewish mystical belief, also held by Herman Wald, the sacred union between man and woman  brings harmony to the universe.

 

In 2012 a posthumously enlarged  version of this sculpture was placed in  front of the Department of Law  at the western campus of the University of the Witwatersrand,  Johannesburg, staking out Wald’s personal domain  of the city, erected by Wald’s two sons, Michael and Louis,  as a tribute to their father.

 © Kaplan Centre

Images reproduced by kind permission of Louis Wald

The Life and Art of

HERMAN WALD

(1906-1970)