1906 Born in Cluj, also known as Kolozsvàr, Hungary on 7 July.
1926/27 Studied for two semesters at the National Academy of Arts in Budapest. Teacher in sculpture: Zsygmond Kisfaludi Strobl.
1927 After 31 January went to Vienna. Apprenticeship in the studio of Anton Hanak.
1928 5 January. Death of Herman Wald’s father, Rabbi Jacob Meir Wald.
1928/9 October 1928 to April 1929: studies at the School of Applied Art (Kunstgewerbeschule) in Vienna in the Dept of Sculpture under Prof Eugen Gustav Steinhof. Worked in the master class studio of Anton Hanak at the Vienna Kunstgewerbeschule.
1930 Relocation to Berlin. Worked in the studio of Totila Albert (1892-1967).
1933 As from April, sojourn in Paris for 7 months.
1933 Relocation to London in November.
1934 Assumes position as an art teacher at the Men’s College in London.
1937 Emigration to South Africa in November.
Established a studio in Smith Street, Joubert Park, where he began to work and to teach.
1938 Group exhibition in the Gainsborough Gallery, Johannesburg.
1938 Participated in a group Exhibition in the Lidchi Gallery,
1939 Participated in the group exhibition held for the benefit of the South African Jewish War Appeal at the Lidchi Gallery, Johannesburg.
1939 Participated in a group Exhibition at the Gainsborough Gallery, Johannesburg.
1939 Featured in the October edition of the South African Theatre, Music and Dance Magazine.
1940 Exhibition of graphic work at the Howard Shaw Gallery, East London. Reviewed in the “East London Daily Dispatch”.
1940 Joined the South African Defence Force.
1942 12 November: marriage with Vera Rosenbaum.
1944 Herman Wald is discharged from the army. Resumes
work in his studio in Smith Street.
1944 Group Exhibition at the SA Academy for Science and Art, Duncan Hall, Johannesburg, from 1 August, together with Moses Kottler, Lippy Lipshitz and Gerard de Leeuw.
1944 First solo exhibition at the Duncan Hall, Johannesburg on 13 September, opened by Barnett Potter, sub-editor of the newspaper “The Star”.
1945 Participated in a group exhibition at the Duncan Hall Art
1947 Became a founder member of the Brush and Chisel Club.
1948 Participated in a Brush and Chisel Club Group Exhibition in the Schweickerdt Art Gallery, Pretoria.
1949 Beaux Arts Gallery, Pritchard street, Johannesburg, Group Exhibition with the Brush and Chisel Club.
Solo Exhibition at the Beaux Arts Gallery.
1950 Francis Mologo joins Herman Wald’s studio as an assistant.
1951 Solo Exhibition in the Beaux Arts Gallery, Pritchard street, Johannesburg, opened by the actor Ben Ami on 19 February.
1952 Unveiling of the wood panel “Sanctum” for the Orthodox Synagogue in Springs in April.
1952 Travels to Israel, Rome, London Paris and New York. 7th September: Solo Exhibition at the New Gallery, West 44th Street, New York. Reviewed by Steward Preston of the New York Times, the Forward, and the American People’s Hungarian Newspaper, New York.
1952 Solo Exhibition at the Ann Bryant Gallery, East London, opened 29 th December by the Mayor, F.T. Fox.
1952 Inception of Herman Wald’s ceramics phase with a kiln in his studio.
1954 Farewell Solo Exhibition at the Beaux Arts Gallery, Pritchard street, Johannesburg, on the 22nd March.
Move to 52, 6th Ave., Parktown North, Johannesburg .
Solo Exhibition at the Van Schaik’s Gallery, Pretoria, opened on 24 May by Prof H.M. van der Westhuyzen, Head of the Dept of History of Art, University of Pretoria.
Herman Wald closes the kiln in the studio and outsources his ceramic work to other workshops.
1955 Solo Exhibition from 24 March to 7 June at the Van Schaik’s Gallery, Pretoria.
1955 Solo Exhibition at the Naake’s Gallery, Bulawayo, opened 20 June by A.E.Abrahamson.
1956 Commissioned by the South African Jewish Board of Deputies to create the Monument to the Six Million Jewish Victims of the Holocaust.
1957 Solo Exhibition at the New Gallery, Johannesburg, 5 to 25 September.
1957 Solo Exhibition in Welkom, opened on 28 November.
1957 “Kria” unveiled at the Jewish Aged Home in Sandringham, Johannesburg.
1959 Solo Exhibition entitled “The Bible in Sculpture” at the New Queen’s Hall Gallery, Johannesburg, opened 13 April by Alec Gorshel, Mayor of Johannesburg.
1960 “Artists’ Choice” Group Exhibition at the New Queen’s Gallery, opened 20.October. Herman Wald participated with “Conquest of Space”.
Consecration of the Monument to the Six Million Jewish Victims of the Holocaust on Sunday 10 May at the West Park Cemetery, Johannesburg.
October. Unveiling of the Impala Fountain Johannesburg
by Harry Oppenheimer.
Miniature replica of the Impala Fountain is presented to Harry Oppenheimer on the occasion of his birthday on 21.10.1960 by the Mayor of Johannesburg, Alec Gorshel.
Unveiling of the Diamond Diggers Fountain at the Kimberley Civic Centre in the Sir Ernest Oppenheimer Memorial Garden.
1962 Herman Wald begins casting with fibre glass.
1963 Group exhibition at Kessel and Bolton, Johannesburg.
1964 Group exhibition at Neptune’s Court, Johannesburg.
1965 Second trip to New York, London, Rome, Paris and Israel for five weeks.
Assistant Francis Mologo leaves the studio.
1966 Participated at the Republic Festival Exhibition with “Jacob and the Angel”.
1967 Unveiling of “The Wings of the Shekhinah” in the Berea Synagogue, Johannesburg.
Nimrod Goge joined the studio as assistant. His first assignment: “The Protector”.
1968 Unveiling of “The Protector” for the S.A. Mutual Life Assurance at the St. Mary’s Building, Johannesburg.
1969 “Unity is Strength” unveiled in the United Building Society in Eloff Street,Johannesburg.
1970 Last Solo Exhibition 15 – 23 March at the President Hotel, Johannesburg, opened by Advocate Philip Wulfsohn.
Death of Herman Wald in Salisbury, (presently Harare) Zimbabwe on the 4th July .
1971 Memorial Exhibition opened by Advocate Philip Wulfsohn in honour of Herman Wald presented by the S.A. Jewish Board of Deputies at the Cranbrooke Hotel, Leyds Street, Johannesburg from 17-21 October.
1976 Herman Wald Memorial Exhibition at the Sladmore Gallery, Parktown, Johannesburg: 25 March – 16 April, opened by Prof G R Bozzoli, Vice-Chancellor of the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg.
1979 Herman Wald Memorial Exhibition at the Morris Gallery. Johannesburg from 6 December to 12 January 1980, opened by Prof Gideon Jacobs, Head of the Graduate School of Business Administration, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg.
2011 Two sculptures installed on the Campus of the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg.
2012 February – July: Retrospective exhibition at the South African Jewish Museum, Cape Town.